We at the Dawes County Treasurer’s Office recommend that the public utilize online and mail services for:
renewing registrations and drivers licenses at:
paying property taxes at:
- The Treasurer’s Office collects and distributes all Revenues for the County
- Bill and collect all Real Estate, Personal Property Taxes and Special Assessments
- Titles and Collects Sales Tax on Vehicles
- Register all motor vehicles with tax situs in the County
- Collects monies and prints temporary Drivers’ Licenses, I.D.s, and Permits by examiner’s certificate
- Titles and Collects Sales Tax (if applicable) on ATV’s and UTV’s
- The Treasurer’s Office prints the temporary Driver’s License, Permits and I.D.’s. For information regarding your Driver’s License, Permits and I.D.s, contact the DMV on Mondays and Tuesdays from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm (except the last Tuesday of the month) at 308-432-6112.
- Applicants for driver’s licenses must see the examiner first.
- The Driver Examiner is in Chadron on Mondays and Tuesdays from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 to 4:00 pm (except the last Tuesday of the month).
- For full schedule of the DMV Offices go to: www.dmv.nebraska.gov/examining
- You may renew your expiring Nebraska license within 90 days (not three months) prior to the expiration date. If you are turning 21, you may renew 10 days prior to expiration date. If you move to a new address, you should update your Nebraska license within 60 days.
ITEMS THAT YOU NEED TO BRING
- Renewal Notice or Current Registration
- Proof of Insurance
ITEMS THAT YOU NEED TO BRING
- If you have an out of state title it will need a V.I.N inspection done by the sheriff, and the cost is $10.00
- Properly signed by sellers: If it’s a Nebraska title and there are more than one person’s name on the title, ALL persons on the face of the title will need to sign as sellers. This varies for out of state titles. Check with the treasurer’s office.
- Odometer reading is required if it has less than 100 thousand miles and/or if it is less than 10 years old.
2. DRIVERS LICENSE (If no valid NE drivers license visit with staff, there are other items that can be taken instead of the Drivers License)
3. SECURITY AGREEMENT
- If you have borrowed money to purchase the vehicle.
4. SALES TAX FORM 6 AND/OR BILL OF SALE [sales tax is DUE within 30 days of purchase and will be assessed a $5.00 penalty + interest if not paid within that time].
5. VALID PROOF OF INSURANCE – Must contain valid dates and the VIN #
7. WE STOP PROCESSING TITLES AT 4:00
Adobe Acrobat is required
- Receive Tax Statements in December
- If you do not receive your tax statement, call the Treasurer’s Office
- Delinquent: First half-May 1 and Second half-September 1
- Pay online at
- Delinquent taxes will be sold at Public Auction the first Monday in March
- 14% annual delinquent rate
- If paying in person, please bring your Tax Statements to insure all your taxes get paid. The Dawes County Treasurer’s Office is NOT RESPONSIBLE for unpaid taxes.
Public Delinquent Tax Sale Information
Updated list 2.17.2021
- Time and Date: Tax sales are always held the first Monday in March. This year the sale will be held Monday, March 1 at 10:00 A.M.
- Held at the Dawes County Fairgrounds (the 4-H Building: 300 E Norfolk St. Chadron, NE 69337. Please bring something to write on as there will be no tables. Chairs will be available, and social distancing guidelines will be recommend.
- Advertising: Chadron Record and the Crawford Clipper advertise for three consecutive weeks once a week commencing the first week in February. These are updated weekly.
- List of Delinquencies: You may obtain a detailed listing of delinquencies either by contacting our office and requesting it be sent through the mail, email or you may stop in the Dawes County Treasurer’s Office and pick one up. Listing is updated daily.
- Registration: Registration needs to be complete and in the Dawes County Treasurer’s Office by Friday, March 1st at 4:30 PM. Registration includes Investor Information accompanied by W9 and a sign in sheet. One bidder cannot bid for more than one company and has to be present.
- Procedure: On the day of the sale, the County Treasurer will conduct a random drawing of numbers to select the order of bids. Investors agree to buy the liens for the delinquent tax amounts interest and advertising plus any other delinquent tax assessed to each parcel. NE Statute 77-702. The number drawn shall represent the order in which each investor may bid.
- $25.00 registration fee
- Private Tax Sale: Any unsold taxes or assessments are for private sale and may be purchased after the Public Tax Sale. You may contact our office to inquire on the unsold taxes/assessments.
- Foreclosure Process: Once a certificate has matured, the certificate is mailed to the investor and it is their responsibility to collect on their investment, whether it be personal or legal. The Dawes County Treasurer’s Office will keep the record on file for figuring interest purposes only. We will not collect unless other arrangements have been made with the Treasurer. Nebraska statutes 77-1801 thru 77-1941 covers all aspects of buying and foreclosing on tax sale certificates. You must consult with an attorney for any legal advice. The Dawes County Treasurers office will not provide any guidance or legal advice pertaining to tax sale certificates.
- Web Site: N/A at this time
Changes for the Public Tax Sale Starting 2015
The Nebraska Legislature has mandated changes which have been put into state statue and will be effective for the 2015 Tax Sale. Some of those changes will be as follows:
1. The county treasurer shall charge a $22.00 issuance fee for each certificate.
2. The fee is non-refundable upon redemption.
3. The purchaser acquires a perpetual lien of the tax on the real property; and if after the taxes become delinquent, he/she subsequently pays any taxes levied on the property.
4. When reassigning a certificate, there will be a fee of $20.00; and a new certificate will be issued to the assignee.
Types of Payments Accepted
- Money Order
- Visa Master Card Discover American Express – All Debit and Credit Cards will be charged an additional 2.35 % service fee